Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What a difference 20 years makes

The Madness is upon us. The last time the Kansas Jayhawks won the national title was 20 years ago, in 1988. At the time I was in the 6th grade, living in Germany and preparing to move back to the United States and the heaven that is Grand Forks, North Dakota. I didn't really know about the greatness that is Kansas Basketball, and therefore don't really remember much about it.


I know you're wondering: if you didn't like Kansas Basketball, what did you like? Well, I'm glad you asked. The following is a list of the things I liked in 1988, with a corresponding list of things that I like today. At first I thought a lot had changed since then, but now I'm not too sure...


Things I liked in 1988 --- and the corresponding thing I like today:
tube socks --- argyle socks
Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet --- Tortoise's TNT
the Washington Redskins --- Kansas Basketball
my Huffy bike --- my Pontiac Vibe
girls (sort of) --- my wife
George Brett --- Bill Self
Luke Skywalker --- the Dude
my walkman --- my iPod
Top Gun --- Pulp Fiction
Atari 2600 --- Xbox 360
Groo comics --- DFW novels
wiffleball homerun derby --- drunken glow-in-the-dark frisbee
telling people I'm "from Germany" --- telling people I live one mile from Allen Fieldhouse
my mullet --- my near mullet


Rock Chalk my friends. 2 wins down, 4 to go.

5 comments:

pacing the cage said...

I'm disappointed that I, as your then six year-old brother, wasn't one of the things you liked 1988. However, I'd like to think that if I were on that list, I'd be on the corresponding list as well.

boynamedsioux said...

Dude. You were 6 years old, running around with your 6 year old German friends, playing with dorky Playmobile toys and making us let you be "all time offense" in our street football games.

Whether or not you'd make the list today depends heavily on the amount of keg beer you're able to consume at the KU Final Four party I'm hoping to throw on April 5th.

Jum said...

Based on your "amount of keg beer" criteria, I will surely be on your current list. Just make sure I don't pass out on any bridges if KU happens to lose that night.

pacing the cage said...

I like the "dude" reference. and to my memory, I was one helluva street football receiver. And I'm not concerned about the amount I can consume, it's about my actions during the late stages of consumtion. Jim, at least Lawrence is warmer than Indy this time of year, so if the bridge incident reoccurs, you won't be as cold.

James Marc Smith said...

I have not thought about Groo comics in a long long time, he had a dog as I recall.