Monday, March 10, 2008

You're definintely still in Kansas anymore

Lawrence is a wonderful and faboulous place, but let's not kid ourselves. Every once in a while, I see something to remind me that I am, without a doubt, living in Kansas.

Today's evidence comes from my RSS feed of items being sold in Lawrence on craigslist. These headlines and selected quotes all three came through in a span of 33 minutes:

Firewood for gravel - "Due to low funds and lack of work, I decided to offer as much firewood as possible in order to get some gravel."

WANTED: Chicken Coup - "Looking for a some type of smaller coup/shed to house my kids pet chickens."

And my personal favorite:

Goat Herd for Sale - "I have a registered Boer buck who is not related to none of the does."

The Lawrence Chamber of Commerce welcomes you. At least the real estate is cheap. Did we mention we have a good basketball team?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess what? If you live in Lawrence, Ks, that is not your curse, it's your blessing. We have what a beautiful college town provides, the proximity of a semi-major city, and also the reality that you apparently need to be reminded of that living among people who actually make a living with their hands and know what happens when you integrate buck goats and does too early. If you don't like it, why don't you move to Modesto and start blogging about the relative merits of not bending the bill of your cap.

boynamedsioux said...

I think somebody's jeans are a little too tight.

Scott Schneweis said...

I'm not sure which is funnier, the post or the comment from Mr. Little Jeans. Also, it's unclear to me what what working with your hands has to do with trading firewood for gravel, or using a double negative in a sentence about goats, but I'll take MR. LJ's word for it, as he seems to be on the up and up. Of course, to be fair, you did spell "definitely" wrong in your title line, so I suspect you might be guilty of integrating your buck goats and does a bit too early yourself. Also, I picture Modesto as a really bashful and self-deprecating super-hero. If it's anything different, please, don't spoil it.

boynamedsioux said...

Damn you for pointing out my faults brother.